Indiana College Cost Estimator
The following information was taken from a brochure published by the National Center for College Cost:
It's Free It's Informative It's Confidential It's Designed for Hoosiers
What Is It?
A tool licensed by the Indiana Commission for Higher Education and has been developed by the National Center for College Costs to bring comprehensive college selection, admissions and financial aid information to Hoosier students and families.
What Can The Tool Do?
- College profiles with demographic cost and academic information for Indiana public and private institutions
- An Expected Family Contribution (EFC) using the most current formula
- Side-by-side comparisons of Indiana Colleges (up to 3 at one time)
- "What-if" functionality allowing users to run various scenarios affecting financial aid packages
- Local scholarship information for all 92 counties
- Twenty-first Century Scholar policy information for Indiana institutions
- Messaging capabilities for important reminders and newsletters
- Data storage and retrieval capabilities
- "Ask the Expert" sessions on pertinent college prep and financial aid issues
The National Center for College Costs
15 West Franklin Street
Greencastle, IN 46135
Phone: (877) 687-7291
Indiana College Costs Estimator Tip Sheet
1. What Students/families should have before starting in order to get a more accurate output:
- Parent and student tax forms (1040EZ, 1040A or 1040) and/or W-2s
- Parent and student untaxed income information
- Parent and student asset information
- Parent business and/or farm records, if applicable
- Student academic information (test scores, GPA)
2. Go to: www.indianacollegecosts.org
3. Create an account for the student/family so they can store their data and come back to it at any time to make changes/updates (skip to step 5 if student/family already has an account):
- Click "sign up" in the top right corner of the web page
- Fill in the information and click "create my account"
- Be sure to sign up for an email subscription!
4. Go back to the ICCE homepage and click "Click Here to Begin"
- Select "Estimate your College Costs"
- Read the terms of agreement and click "Get Started"
5. If the student/family already has an account, go to the top right of the website and click "login"
- Enter username and password and click "login"
- Click "Create a new estimator" to enter data for a new student or to create a new estimator
- Click "Saved Estimators and What -Ifs" to make changes to an already completed estimator
6. When finished entering data, be sure to check the summary page to make sure everything was entered correctly.
7. Don't forget to take advantage of all the different features of the tool! Go through each of the steps on the right-hand toolbar by clicking each one.
8. Before students and parents leave the site, be sure they go back to the ICCE homepage (you can get there quickly by clicking the ICCE logo at the top of the website) to check out all of the different content pages available to them. Some featured areas are:
- Explore Indiana Colleges (to see profiles of all the Indiana colleges and an interactive Indiana map with "you are here" functionality, etc.)
- Learn Where the Money Is (to see free scholarship search sites, learn why Indiana diploma types matter, and understand the different types of financial aid)
- See the Top Ten List (to see the top ten most important pieces of information to take away from this website, nicely put together into a concise and easy-to-read format)